Monday 24 February 2014

Good News and Bad News – Kajjansi 20.02.14



The good news is it was another good afternoon out in Kajjansi, with international testimonies, challenging messages and stirring conversations.  The bad news…well, I’ll finish with that.
Good News

Solomon taking the lead, as he interviewsPraise-Grace Joy
At the Kajjansi prayer meeting, on Wednesday evening, as the program for Thursday afternoon’s outreach was being discussed, an interview with P-GJ was mentioned.  I asked who would be interviewing her, and Solomon said, if no-one else does, he will!  I told him I thought this was a good idea, and must say, he did a very good job of it.  Of course, P-GJ has a bit of experience being interviewed, but to Solomon, it was a new experience, which he handled with authority and appeal.

P-GJ told us about her days in nursing, and her call to ABU.  She also told us how God had turned her heart from loving sin, to loving Him.  It was certainly a challenge to the people and market-stall holders of Kajjansi.

Bob Penny testifies
This all followed some singing, and was followed by our visiting Professor (all teachers and lecturers, here in Africa are called Professor, just in case you were wondering how to address me, in future!!!), Dr Bob Penny, sharing his testimony.
 

 After these important ‘extras’, Garnet (pictured in the rather fetching tank-top) preached the word.


These listeners were very
appreciative!

Meanwhile, our group headed down in to the busy High Street, to what is becoming our regular spot – opposite the clinic, internet ‘café’ and betting shop, to preach out and reach out.  We were reminding our listeners, ‘Why we keep going on about Jesus!’  As usual, a few passers-by stopped to stare, though this time Marselles (in red cap, below) drew Erastol into conversation, and arranged to come to church on Sunday! 


Edrine kindly translated, whilst Eric held the board.  We also had a few new/ different/ familiar stall-holders listening in.  Pereth was there again, and introduced me to her friend Irene (on the left, below, who was unfamiliar with the Leadbelly classic, ‘Goodnight Irene’, so I sang the chorus to her – and no, she still didn’t recognise it!).  Both ladies requested prayer for their business (that seems to be coming a familiar request), so I prayed for their souls…oh, and the business!

Irene and Pereth 'appreciate' being prayed for!

Bonnie (in Orange, below) was also there with a group of friends, sitting and listening.  Bonnie brought his Bible along, and has agreed to meet Natasha and I (and Marselles and Steven), at Kajjansi New Life Presbyterian Church, on Sunday.  Please pray they will all come, and it will be the beginning of an eternal journey, for these men and their families.  Bonnies friends are from Entebbe, and they requested Bibles (as did Robert, Fiona’s ‘friend’), also agreeing to attend a church in Entebbe where Solomon has friends. 


Solomon sharing and persuading




Steven was there, at his shoe stall, with his son.  Maggie (another visiting Professor) and I bumped into the young boy, on Tuesday, when we visited Kajjansi, looking for the church.  We pray he will come along with his dad, on Sunday evening.

I wonder if Steven understands
just exactly where the church is?


All in all, there were plenty of good conversations, with many of the students stepping out of their comfort zones, and engaging with the public.  ABU’s mission in Africa is to raise up Africans to reach Africans, and though I love to get out there on the streets, I’d sooner see one of our students using the board and moving me on.  Solomon has taken over the interviewing; please pray one of the young men might preach using the board, next time.
    

Erastol introducing me to Marselles




























New girl, Maggie is not afraid to get stuck in!
And now for the bad news

I don’t know if you remember my Kajjansi Police Report (6.12.13), when I wrote about Latif and my visit to the Kajjansi Chief of Police, Cadet Officer Joseph Bigirwa.  We went enquiring whether we could preach to the prisoners, and the chief said, ‘Preach now, to me!’  We were short of time and had to decline his offer, but we did promise to come back.  Unfortunately, Cadet Officer Joseph Bigirwa was shot and killed this week, when intervening in a Petrol Station robbery.  I’m not sure if the man was a believer, but I cannot help but feel convicted that I should have taken the opportunity to speak to him, while I was there.
All of us need to take heed of this episode.  We never know when our time is up, or when an opportunity might present itself, when we might hear or preach the gospel.  This man, left home that morning not knowing he would not return.  Are we any different?  Do we think ourselves too good?  Too valuable?  This man was doing a good deed, an important job and was valuable to his country and family, yet his life was cut short in an instant.  

Psalm 39:4 “Show me, LORD, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting my life is.”

Cadet Officer Joseph Bigirwa



































No comments:

Post a Comment