Saturday 15 February 2014

Are YOU good enough to go to Heaven? – Kajjansi 13.02.14



This question was the title of my talk in Kajjansi, this week.  And I’m sure many of those who heard or saw would hold many different opinions as to the answer.  I suggested the view, as many probably do, that it doesn’t really matter.  God is a God of love, and He loves everyone, and so everyone will go to Heaven.  But as I was reminded, when reading Tim Keller’s book, The Reason for God, the view that God is love is only found in the Bible, where it also says, God is just – He is a God who judges, and has indeed appointed a day when He will judge the world.  This scenario, or truth, can only lead us to the conclusion; we need a Saviour, to save us from the just penalty of our sin.  And so the message concluded with an urgent plea, to everyone listening, to turn to the Lord Jesus Christ, the only name given to us, under heaven, whereby we must be saved.


At present, we do not have any literature, or ideally, CDs (literacy rates are pretty low) to give away, but we can talk and listen to the locals who sit and listen…and this week, there were plenty.

Latif testifying...

But that was all after Latif had been interviewed.  I introduced him asking him, why he wasn’t a Muslim?  His name is!  This then encouraged him to recall how God had changed his thinking, his life, and his heart.  He also led the singing, so he was very much in the spotlight…and he comes from Kajjansi…so plenty knew and recognised him.

...then leading the singing, with Asimenye
  




After, our newest member of faculty, Maggie McLinden, joined me, Asimenye, Erastol, and John Hill, as we took up our usual spot, opposite the clinic, to preach the gospel.  John Hill translated for me three years ago, when Natasha and I first visited African Bible University.  It was good to see he’d lost none of his zeal and stamina.  And he is one man who is louder than me, and whose voice can outlast mine!  So it was good to have him on hand, afterwards, as we met and chatted and prayed with a few of our listeners.

So, John Hill translates,
while Asimenye and Erastol hold the board
     
Whereas back in 2011, a box holds up the board,
while John Hill translates!  Please note, I've tidied
myself up, considerably!
  
Geoffrey is in the black t-shirt,
and Steven is sitting down, to my right
John Hill chatted and prayed with Geoffrey.  Geoffrey confessed he was a church-goer, but not born again.  John Hill discussed this with him and Geoffrey asked Jesus into his life, there and then!  Meanwhile, Steven, who was sitting right next to me, confessed that he was not born-again, didn’t go to church, but wanted to know God, and to know his sins are forgiven!  I was so happy to draw his attention to some points in my message, and very pleased to pray with him.  Both he and Bonnie, who I also bumped into, expressed a desire to accompany me to church.  This will involve me first locating the church in Kajjansi, where I want to take them.  One of our former students has a church there, but every time I look for it, I can’t find it!  But I have promised myself, that by next Thursday, I shall have located it, and will ask the two men to join me there, the following Sunday. 
   
Solomon talking with Anthony and Janat, a Muslim
Please pray that these plans come to pass, for the glory of God, and the salvation of Steven and Bonnie…and others like them.

We also prayed with Fiona again, who introduced us to Godfrey.  I was thinking, Wow, that was a quick answer to last week’s prayer, but unfortunately for Fiona, Godfrey is already engaged to someone else…which brings me to another issue.  In Uganda, there is a tradition, where couples have to ‘introduce’ themselves to their prospective in-laws.  The idea is, it allows for the elders of the village to give the all clear to the relationship, as they will know if the couple are related in any way.  The problem is, these introduction ceremonies have become so big and so expensive, that young couples are put off introducing, and thus marrying, tending to live together instead.  In some ways, the parents recognise this as a ‘form’ of marriage, but it is not…and therefore, many young couples (and Christians, too,) live together, knowing they are not married and not right with God!  This puts their relationship and marriage under considerable strain, and many feel ashamed for living this way.  One such man in this situation is a very good friend of ours, and we are trying to persuade him to just get married, and then make a fuss about the relatives at the reception.  He has heard similar advice from a Ugandan friend, who also agreed, that if he did it, many would follow suit, and unburden themselves from the shame, and make the many ‘ladies in waiting’, very happy.  Please pray for our friend.

John Hill enjoying his time with Godfrey and Fiona!

We thank you for your prayers and support, and pray God will richly bless you, as you richly bless us.

Sean


No comments:

Post a Comment