Saturday 7 December 2013

Kajjinsi Police Report

Now before some of you say, “I knew it!  He had it coming!”  Let me assure you, I have not been arrested; I just paid them a visit today, with prison ministry on my mind.

Latif carrying the board through (what he called) the slums!

Latif led me down the back streets of Kajjansi, through the ‘slums’ as he calls them, to the local police station.  Latif is a local boy, with many relatives.  This is because his father and grandfather were polygamists, so everyone it seems, is his brother, uncle or cousin!  Anyway, one uncle (Robert) is high up in the police force at Kajjansi, and Latif had asked him if we could start up a prison ministry.  Robert said we’d have to speak with the Officer in Charge (C.O. – with three pips on each shoulder!), which is what we did today.  He looked quite serious, when we made our proposal, and said, “Yes, you can come and preach to my officers, and you can come in here (his office) and preach to me!”  We explained that that would be great, but we’d like to preach to the prisoners, too.  Praise God, he seemed to like this idea also, but said we’d need to speak to the C.O. there, first, as his station just had holding cells.  He gave me his card, and wrote down the number of the other C.O., telling us it should be ok.

   
One of the local Bobbettes
A carefully locked up police bike.


                                          
      


So, we didn’t get the chance to preach today, and it was our last week for outreach, but we have hopefully opened the door to a new opportunity in the new year.  Latif did have time to have his hair cut, though, and I did have a chat with a young shoe seller called Geoffrey.  He goes to church, but has no assurance of salvation.  He prays, but doesn’t know his Bible well enough.  Maybe you could remember him and the prison possibilities, and Judith (sober this time) and Agnes, who we bumped into again.
Judith, in the murkier side of town.
Geoffrey, selling his wares.


                      



Latif, finding time for a hair-cut!





The Muzungu preacher, with his
Bible and board

 Thank you, and God bless you.  (I won’t wish you a merry Christmas just yet, as I will send out a report on the Christmas Crusade, once I get round to finishing it!)


Sean 

No comments:

Post a Comment