Thursday 10 October 2013

Open Air at Kajjansi 10.10.13


As I’ve been very busy here at African Bible University, preparing lectures and teaching, I haven’t had much of an opportunity to go out preaching…until today.


Mr Mhango, my colleague from Malawi, asked me to give two lectures on Open Air preaching, OAM style.   So, on Tuesday, I showed them how ‘we’ do it, at the Open Air Mission.  I gave them the ‘Four Greatest Days in History’ talk; my roadsign one, ‘Are You on the Right Road’; and my John Newton’s ‘Amazing Grace’ presentation.  We discussed how we should seek to be gentle, be honest, be clear, be Christ-centred and be filled with love for the lost.  I don’t know how well it was received, as it was a post-lunch lecture, in a very hot climate, where eye-lids seem particularly heavy!  So, I thought it was best I just go out with the students, and show them ‘live’.
Presenting 'The 4 Greatest Days in World History'
...whilst the students diligently listen and take notes
We headed into a nearby borough of Kampala, called Kajjansi.  It is a typical Ugandan village: dusty, sweaty, but full of smiling people longing to say, hello, to the Muzungu (white man/wanderer).  We set up our board (which is part of a child’s cot, I think!), on a chair, and I proceeded to introduce myself, our university and the Lord Jesus Christ.  I gave my ‘What if…?’ presentation, with an interpreter, or two, and the message seemed well received.  I think the novelty of a Muzungu and a picture board encouraged a lot of people to stop and listen for a while.  Even boda-boda (motorbike taxi) drivers stopped to listen.

That's me, amongst all that lovely colour.
The lady at bottom centre-left, is the one who requested prayer.
Following the talk, one lady, selling clothes, asked a couple of the students to pray for her, and I got chatting to three Muslim men (Abid, Salam and their friend), who told me they confess their sins at the mosque.  I asked them if they thought it was possible to go to heaven with a sinful heart?  They countered with, ‘What about you?’.  I told them my sin was forgiven because Jesus died for my sin.  The consequence of my sin was laid upon Him, so I can even know I’m going to heaven, not because of how good I am, but because of how good Jesus was and is.  Abid said, we will see at the last day, but I replied, it is a dangerous thing to leave it so late, for what if he is wrong?  He seemed to give this some thought, and I told him I’d be back next week.  So, please pray for Abid and his friends.


This is the view from the back.  The man in the green t-shirt was one of Abid's friends.
So, next week, I will again be teaching the open air preaching class, and going out to Kajjansi, again.  Mr Mhango has already told them, he wants them to utilise the talks on the OAM website and translate them into Lugandan.  So, then the translation will be into English!


Kajjansi High Street, with boda-boda driver passing by.

Praise God for the open air preaching, here in Uganda, and pray for the students who go out every week preaching, door knocking, teaching in schools and leading sports and Bible studies, also in schools (this is something we should begin next week, in a local Muslim school – I meet with the Headteacher tomorrow!).

No comments:

Post a Comment