Thursday 2 October 2014

Some Old, and New Faces

After missing last Thursday, it was seemed a challenge to find the motivation to go to Kajjansi, this week, but I’m glad I did.  Open Air work can be tiring and when it’s hot, it can sap your energy.  The apathy of some, and the open hostility of others, can be very discouraging, but in some ways, that is our lot, and the challenge we must all overcome, in these latter days.  Also, the team has lost a few members, now, as many from last year are in their fourth year, and do not always have time for outreach.  Other valuable former members have also been poached by other outreach teams, so we are blooding in valuable newcomers – who I will introduce as we go.

The ‘new core’:  Adima James (2nd Year), Ssendikaddiwa Frank (3rd Year), Tembo Emmanuel, Alimo Agnes, Otim Fred (1st Years), Nyirenda Naomie (3rd Year), Apilli Eunice (2nd Year), Kamlopa Chisomo (3rd Year), me, Ocen Francis and Okello James Murphy (1st Years) just out of sight!

The singing now seems to be led by Apilli Eunice.  She has certainly got the voice for it, and the enthusiasm.  I know that many of the songs might seem simplistic and repetitive, but frankly, I’m glad, as I wouldn’t be able to join in – me, and many others!  And it is always so encouraging to see the market traders joining in, too.

Then, James, the new leader of Team Kajjansi, gave testimony of how God had saved him from a life of selfishness and self-pleasing, to a life of service to God and his fellow man.  He mentioned his love of discotheques and how he has given them up, but the dancing, he still does, for the Lord.

Mulyampiti David being introduced to the people of Kajjansi.  He had never interpreted before, but the Lord was very helpful to him, and me.

When we moved down the hill to preach, Bongomin Ben was on camera, so the team with me was made up of First Years: James Murphy (yes, honestly), Emma (short for Emmanuel), Francis and David.  David had never interpreted before, but he did a very good job for his first attempt – with much help from the Lord!  The ‘lads’ then joined me as we sought to make conversations and contacts with our busy listeners.

Some people just insist on being polite and friendly…even if you are in the middle of something important!

It was great to see Bonny again, and Geoffrey.  Both insist they want to come to church (Geoffrey says he is going as often as he can), and Bonny says he will see me Sunday.  When I told them, my many friends (!!!) back home were praying for them, they seemed very touched by this…as were Stephen, William, Fiona and Peruth – more regulars.  David managed a short conversation with the lady whose name no-one can work out, and I spoke to Annette, who asked if I would pray for her.  Sometimes when I’m asked to do this, I’m concerned that they want me to pray, and not one of the African students.  I remind them that I am not magic, nor more effective, but still, am glad they are bold enough to ask in public – and that God has given me much liberty.

  
Robert’s smile, Stephen’s words, and Annette’s prayer request were a great encouragement to me today.

It was great chatting to Bonny, again, and his customer, the lady in red, also asked, ‘What church do you go?           Where is it?’

On the way back to our taxi, I bumped into Swahib Sali, the Muslim young man who I met last year, and who featured in our ABU presentations, back in England.  In contrast to the chilly reception we received last time, Sali seemed genuinely pleased to see me – though he tried not to show it to those around him (or the camera).  For me, it was a kind of confirmation that last time’s prayers were answered, regarding hostile Muslims, but also, that this is a good work to persevere with, and the right place to be.

Swahib Sali, hiding from the camera – and the taxi we use, there and back!

So until next time, thank you for all your prayers and encouragements.  Please continue to remember our regular and new listeners, and pray for our diminished team – especially the newbies!
Many blessings to you all,

Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment